Swiss speciality chemicals company Clariant has taken full ownership of Brazilian personal care firm Beraca, the company announced on 23 August.

Clariant, which has held a 30% stake in the company since 2015, said it had signed an agreement to acquire the remaining 70% from the founding Sabará family.

The acquisition, for an undisclosed sum, was subject to regulatory approvals and was expected to close by the end of the year, the company said.

Located in the Amazon region, Beraca manufactures natural ingredients for the personal care sector including fats, oils and botanicals.

“With its focus on sustainable products and processes, Beraca fits perfectly into Clariant's portfolio,” Clariant CEO Conrad Keijzer.

“We gain valuable access to natural materials based on the biodiversity of the Brazilian rainforest. This opens up great opportunities for high-quality growth for our care chemicals business.”

Clariant said Beraca’s business would be integrated into its care chemicals division.

Beraca’s lines include natural vegetable oils and butters sustainably sourced from the Amazon rainforest and other Brazilian biomes.

The company’s rainforest specialities line range, for example, includes oils that are available as cosmetic grade, non-refined and refined versions, according to its website.